April 10, 2012

DIY Hair Color! Burgundy Plum


 I decided to change my hair color (DIY) after a good few months of getting the ombre hair color (professionally done).   I'm very happy with my new vibrant hair color!  My inspiration came from Pinterest. I really love looking at beautiful photos of burgundy, and purple hair colors.  I figured why not combine both!  Another combination I was thinking about was a purple black, but I'll save that one for next Fall...if not sooner! hehe
*Update* I have been getting so much feedback from this hair post, thank you so much Pinterest!
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to e-mail me. dskbeauty@gmail.com
 I'll try my best to help. :D
*Update* 11/05/12 I will be dying my hair again DIY style with black and purple!
Stay tuned for that post!! ^_^ I'll post it on Pinterest as well. ;)

I purchased my hair dyes at Sally's Beauty Supply.  I also purchased a coloring bowl, brush, gloves, and cape.  I asked the sales associate for help and she picked out the developer in 20 volume for me.  I went with the popular Ion brand.  Everything cost me $15-20.

-Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer 20 Volume
-N Rage Color Purple Plum
-Ion Color Brilliance Liquid Medium Intense Red 41R-44.66 (the cream and liquid work the same).

I used a BaByliss Pro Ceramic Tools 2 1/4" hair curler (from Cosmo Prof) to achieve my curls. :D  I'm obsessed with the Cosmo Prof store!  Vannie usually takes me when I'm in town, and we go crazy buying (cosmetic license) discounted beauty products. lol  It's our girl time. :)  Our significant others wait in the car and fall asleep. We get them bubble tea before we go so they crash from the sugar and sleep longer in the car. :D 

But back to the hair color, the mixing ratio is 1:1 (equal parts). I also added about 1/4 of the Purple Plum dye into the mix for my medium length hair. *Please note that I have thin hair, and bleached ends from my ombre highlights*

 You do need a hair dye brush to fix your dyes.

I left my hair color on for no more than 30 minutes. I just watched some of my favorite new ABC show GCB (Good Christian Bitches).  It's such a funny show!  I really like Revenge too.  What are some other good shows to start?  After the time was up, I went to wash my hair.  I washed out all the hair dye, and then I conditioned my hair with a 99 cent conditioning packet by Ion.  

My ends still felt a little coarse from the hair dye so I conditioned my hair again with the Macadamia Oil Hair Mask (which I love using as a conditioner every other day, it's comparable to the Morroccanoil Hair Mask which I also love!!).  They say you're not supposed to shampoo your hair immediately after you dye it.  You're only supposed to condition it, but I couldn't help myself and I used a tiny bit of my Macadamia Oil Shampoo because I can't help but shampoo my hair everyday.  I'm almost out of my shampoo so I will be posting my review on the Macadamia Oil hairline soon.  Everything in the line smells like a vacation! Afterwards, I conditioned the ends of my hair yet again with Joico K-Pack Reconstructor (Thanks Vannie!).  My hair has never felt more soft after coloring!  I feel the most important part of coloring your hair at home is to condition, condition, condition it post dye.

Check out Posh Beauty Blog because she is going to follow my hair dye recipe soon! :)

In puppies (that are actually dogs) news, Timmy and Wally turned 2 years old on April 8th. They're currently with their grandparents along with Penny, Nickel, and Ty.  Everyone in the Tran family adores Timmy.  He's such a needy dog and he makes everyone feel special. He's also very obedient.  Wally is more of the wild child dog. lol  Minh and I are headed to Pittsburgh, PA for a couples days so momma and poppa Tran are babysitting Timmy, and uncle Tony, and cousin Ty are watching Wally for us.  I don't think we could have afforded boarding for all 3 dogs for a week!  Thank you Vancouver family!  I'm excited for a getaway.  Life has been so busy for us with both our work.  We are planning on starting a new business together by the end of this year.  I'm really excited about it.  ^_^  

I'm 25 now, and I want to use my full potential moving forward towards the future. You know how they say your friends influence who you are?  I think it's true.  You should always surround yourself by hard working, inspiring people.  They rub off on you! You can learn so much from them, and see the results of hard work pay off! Once you see how hard your friends work, you never want to waste a minute being bored or lazy.  There's always something to be done to improve your future.  Speaking of improvements, I'm on my 3rd set of Invisalign trays.  I also got my buttons yesterday.  I finally feel my teeth moving!  They also filed between my lower teeth.  That was a little bit scary and unexpected.  I never went through teeth shaving with regular braces!  But to save yourself the trouble of orthodontist visits as an adult, wear your retainers teenagers!  I have a total of 16 sets of trays which sounds like a lot to me.  I only have two teeth that have rotated since my braces, but it sure is taking a lot of time to get them back in line!

Please check out my DSK Jewelry line!


I accept custom orders too! Please e-mail me at dskjewelry@gmail.com!
I work with the finest .925 Sterling Silver, and Swarovski Crystal Jewelry. ^_^
On my nails: "Kim Konfidential"
The perfect honey nude creme polish!
It reminds me of my liquid foundation color as well. lol

 The cherry blossoms are in bloom!  Cherry Blossoms are definitely one of the perks of living in  Washington State.  The blossoms make my days so much better.
My new hood.  ^_^
It's normally full of mom's and little ones during the day, but I think it's best to not photograph them lol.

Did I tell you Minh and I got bicycles?!  We also bought a red bike rack for his car!  Now we can take our bikes out on the trails, and maybe even Alki Beach this summer.

I think micro blogging (Instagram, Twitter) has really taken away from my blog diary! *guilty*
Do any of you feel that way?  It's so much easier to follow everyone's lives on FB, Twitter, and Instagram.  It's so instant, and so easy!  I do still enjoy reading blogs, but I spend most of my free time on my phone on Instagram looking at pretty pictures. :)

My Instagram photos: http://instagrid.me/dskjewelry/ 

Thank you for reading! -Steph

65 comments:

  1. You're hair looks amazing! Yay to DIY hair coloring that looks fabulous as well! I agree about surrounding yourself with inspiring hard working people. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kassia Thank you! It's also wonderful to surround ourselves with supportive blogger friends. ;) <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey can you explain your instructions again with specification to the product hour talking about. You talk bout 1:1 ratio bit you are using 3 products. Thank you

      Delete
  3. "We get them bubble tea before we go so they crash from the sugar and sleep longer in the car. :D "

    and that is why you are my hero LOL <3 and I totally agree about surrounding your self with successful people. One of my friends introduced me to a lot of people including pilots, successful doctors, the director of Motorola, PR people at sony, etc! its pretty thrilling to see that those types of people are so accessible lol and its fun to get invited to things with them. I'm supposed to be going to E3 (electronics convention) this year since I know some people in Sony. Did you know Sony pS3 has a remote office in San Diego? its where they make most (if not all) of their video games! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your hair looks amazing! looks like you got it done from a salon, kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Gjee You inspire me! <3 I was reading about the rumored June 2012 price increase! It makes me a little depressed! Haha!!

    @eri Thank you!! :D It was about time for a change!

    @janika3689 Thank you! A little patience goes a long way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks good! my hair was at this color when i was first getting it to red, i love the purple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Eugenia Thank you! :)

    @LC I LOVE YOUR RED HAIR! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. do you have a better picture of your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  9. do you have a better picture of your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow so beautiful! <3 Makes me want to dye my hair again :3

    ReplyDelete
  11. omgosh steph your hair turned out SOOO GORGEOUS!! the colors are so beautiful!!

    omgosh your comment about the moms and kids is hilarious tehehe.

    ohhh!! i've been thinking about getting bikes for me and the hubs too seems like a really great way to get fit TOGETHER :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never ever seen such professionally done up purple shade of hair from DIY. I mean it. I really love the purple on your hair. Great job on having beautiful hair while saving lots of money at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on moving! The neighborhood looks beautiful and your hair is GORGEOUS! I love that color on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally love your hair<3
    I fell in love the moment I saw your hair color.

    I sent you an e-mail hope to hear back from you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Steph,

    I went to Sally's & purchased everything :) Can't wait to try this color out. Hope you don't mind, I used your picture (with credit) on my blog and attached links to your blog.

    http://poshbeautyblogger.blogspot.com/2012/04/hair-mazing-transformations-on-rise.html

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How much of the purple plum did you add to the mix???

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exactly how much of the purple plum did you add to the mix???

    ReplyDelete
  18. @snsd219 Roughly 1/4 of the Purple Plum bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Stephanie, i was wondering how long did it take before the color faded?

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Kimmie3h It's been a month since I've dyed my hair myself. The roots of my hair are still the burgundy red, however the ends where my ombre highlights were faded around 2 1/2 weeks. I read that washing with cold water helps color last longer along with using the proper shampoo/conditioners for color treated hair. I plan on dying the ends again next week with more plum. :) I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  21. that color looks so amazing! i do have a few questions:

    do you have a before picture of the hair? you mentioned that you had ombre in your hair, so does the color fade out a bit more at the end?

    how much of each color do you add? it looks like there's hints of both colors, so do you do one color first and then the other?

    thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, This haircolor is gorgeous! I was just wondering if you mixed the N'Rage haircolor directly in with the ion color brilliance? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. How did the actual dye process go> Just dye everything at once?

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Jessica Trant I dyed the ends first and worked my way up to my roots. I had my hair bleached for the ombre highlights months before I dyed my hair on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lol so my question might sound dumb but I just want to make sure before I go out and try to do this to my hair && jack it all up.
    You said the mixing ratio is 1:1..
    Which two did you mix together?

    I'm probably just overthinking your directions, but like I said, I just want to make sure hahaha.
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lol so my question might be a dumb one, but I really want to do this to my hair && I just want to make sure before I do it and mess it up.

    You said the mixing ratio was 1:1..
    Which two did you mix together?

    Sorry if this seems like a dumb question lol.
    Like I said, I just want to make sure before I start mixing things and mess up.

    Your hair looks amazing by the way!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. 1:1 is the developer and red hair dye. Please note, that I had my ends bleached and highlight. That really helped bring out the color.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there!

    Gorgeous color. I do mine more of an auburn/violetish/black. Shines like crazy in the sun.

    Hope you don't mind if I try this one even though its your creation. :)

    Again, wow. That is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  29. When you say you put some of the purple in how much do you think you used?

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Kelsey About 1/4 of the plum. I did have bleached highlights prior to dying my own hair so that is why the plum shows up/contrasts with the red.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey! I LOVE this, and really want to do it. Do you have any other pictures? 2 other things. My hair is naturally really dark, do you think it will show? And how much of the other bottle do you put in? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So did you dye all of your hair or just part of your hair? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, I love this color on you! I am wondering if the color pictured was on your previously ombre tips or on your non colored roots. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey, did you mix both colors together?? Can you explain please. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. @Sarah I did, but please note that I had bleached highlights. If you don't have bleached highlights or ends, the plum won't show up!

    ReplyDelete
  36. i have highlights in my hair.. Is that going to matter or turn "green" lol. U look awsome

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have dark hair and it's ombre-d right now so I also have bleached ends. I've been looking to dye it, and REALLY like this. Did you start with the ends and let it sit for a certain amount of time then pull it through to the roots? If you have more detailed directions or tips, that would be really helpful! I don't want the color to come out wrong on the bleached ends.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi, I Love your hair!! I want to do my hair this color too, but did you mix both colors in to dye your hair?
    & my hair is like a brown- reddish do you think the plum will show?

    ReplyDelete
  39. I want to dye my hair dark brown and put this color underneath. do i still buy both the dyes and mix them together or did you put one dye on top and the other on the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  40. I was wondering how long the color lasted when you did the burrgundy plum color. I was thinking of trying this color. I am currently a redhead. Auburn color.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I reeeally wonder how this would look over an auburn red...

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm going to color my hair with a red purple color (From ion! =)) and I got the same purple you used. I want to use it as highlights/lowlights/whatever you wanna call it.... Do you think that it'll show up?

    ReplyDelete
  43. what color was the dye after it being mixed together ?

    ReplyDelete
  44. i love you hair color and i am trying to achieve the same effect as yours. but i already dyed my hair with garnier ultra dark intense red (natural hair color is dark dark brown i am asian :) ) should i still mix medium intense red? and how much ration do i need to get burgundy/plum look? i dont want super crazy intense on my hair just about your tint is perfect :) should i still use 20 volume developer? sorry for lots of question i never made my own color always used boxed ( i only dyed my hair on my own for only 3 times)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Would this color take if you used a purple black and plum?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Would the plum color take if you used a black instead of red?

    ReplyDelete
  47. I am going to the hairdresser tomorrow to get this done! Just looking for some advice as to what I should ask of her. My hair is medium brown; should I get it bleached prior to the burgundy being applied? Just bleached from the ears down? And should the plum/purple be applied everywhere, in foils, or what? Thank you in advance for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  48. What was your original hair color? I want to know if I could pull this off with out having to bleach my hair

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love this. I have one question. I already color my hair dark brown/ black because of grey, my question is what was your origional color that you put the plum and burgandy over? It looks like you have a dark brown underneath but is that your natural color or do you color that too? Just curious if my already dark dyed hair will mess this up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Did you add the purple in with red and developer mix? or mix it separately and put it on at different times?

    ReplyDelete
  51. so my hair has to be bleached for the color to be more vibrant and show more?

    ReplyDelete
  52. I'm going to color my hair with a red purple color (From ion! =)) and I got the same purple you used. I want to use it as highlights/lowlights/whatever you wanna call it.... Do you think that it'll show up?
    how to get burgundy hair color

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love your hair looks awesome. . I'm trying to do the same. Did u mixed only those three?

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love your hair. I'm trying to do it like yours.. so did u mixed inly those three?

    ReplyDelete
  55. Wanted to tell you I not only love your hair, but I found myself reading everything and enjoying it. You are a breath of fresh air, was nice to read happy positive thoughts. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  56. Love the hair color! I too like looking on pinterest at burgundy/plum hair, it's a really beautiful color :)
    I've been thinking of trying vidal sassoon London Lilac.

    http://thefebruaryfox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  57. I love the hair but i actually have a question. I know that hair color plays a big role on the results of how the dye comes out. So i just want to know what your hair color was before dying it to the lovely plum. Was it dark, or light?

    ReplyDelete
  58. so you use one full bottle of develop, one full bottle of red and then 1/4 of the plum?

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi, your hair looks great! I was wondering if you could tell me how i can achieve rose gold on currently dyed med brown hair. Im thinking i need to remove color first? Then go crazy mixing brown and pink, or dye lighter brown, then after add pink, maybe diluted w confitioner?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!